Wednesday 3 February 2016

Never, in the field of ... (I)

Church ministry (I bet you thought I was going to continue with 'human conflict'!)

Using the opening words of a broadcast in which Winston Churchill spoke of the heroism of the pilots who defended Britain in the Second World War, I would like to reflect upon another bunch of heroes: those who minister in our churches and the problems they encounter as they struggle to make Christ known. The words at the beginning will be joined with words from an earlier conflict. The reason for this being that one of the most persistent of the complaints I hear from many colleagues mirrors that used of the high command during World War One in that they are 'Lions led by donkeys'*.

Up jumps that nice Green chap (who, according to his report. would do it with the senior clergy in the Management School) in support. But the problem lies deeper than a lack of management skills or training for it is something quite (un)wonderfully institutional. Putting aside the 'Oxbridge Cleric' model** and the invitation card it so often brings to diocesan top tables, let's consider the complaints (as fairly as we can) before us.

Bishops
One of the complaints I encounter most is that clergy wish their bishops would pastor them and be a friend to them; a neighbour when one is needed. I recall the first meeting of a newly minted bishop with a group of clergy in his patch. "I want to be your friend," said he with a smile, "But I won't be 
your mate!" "No change there then," said an older, nearing retirement, colleague in a loud aside. And this is part of the problem, for there is always the underlying tone that says, "Beware, I will always be your boss - do you really want to talk to me?" And so, more often than not the answer is 'No' and so begins the path to clergy stress!

A colleague sums it up like this: "Whenever I meet my bishop I feel there are three questions on the agenda (even when I think I've set it!): How many people? How much money coming in? How quickly can I get rid of you? The public face (and hopefully the intent) speak of care and concern but the reality is that there is a divide between the plebs and the ruling classes. We are cautioned always to 'know our place', "

When I was asking advice of an older and more experienced cleric a few years back the first advice I got was, "Don't talk to your bishop about it!" (Actually, I did talk to him and he was helpful, supportive and prayerful, He spoke of parish ministry and used experience as one who had the pastoral skills needed of a bishop who cared for those who ministered in his diocese).

My theory is this: Bishops have diocesan staff to run the day-to-day operational things. In the diocese I am part of we reap the obvious benefits of having a sound and prudent financial department. The head of this knows their job and does it well - so what is required is management reporting from the professionals to the pointyhatted folk and suggestions for ways forward to keep the lights on.

The same is true for the Chief Exec', they run she ship organisationally and leave the task of steering it spiritually to the person on the bridge. They are the XO on the Captain's ship. But it is the Captain who makes it a happy ship at the end of the day - and this is a spiritual function and a pastoral challenge - sadly many have their telescope held to their blind eye it seems!

Let me clarify things a little: I was asked to write about this by someone who encourages clergy to join a trade union because they consider that we are now no longer joined in the one cause but have become employees (they point to the establishment of HR departments in support of this) and the bishops no longer manage their clergy or monitor their welfare but leave it to others. The role of bishop has changed and so clergy become little more than a management problem rather than something collegial and pastoral - primus inter pares (First amongst equals) has become princeps (the Chief) and this is contrary to the New Testament model, and the example of Jesus, the Christ.



I am regularly asked whether it should be a surprise that so many of our colleagues are suffering from clergy stress. Should we be surprised (or even shocked) when we find people calling on us to join a union? Questions that need to be asked and then, honestly, addressed by lay and leader methinks.

I don't have a job - I have a calling -  I hope and pray that this can be said of those who occupy the higher echelons of Church and yet, with some noteable exceptions, I fear not.

So here is a quick and dirty scribble of my thoughts - I write them in a desire to stimulate in myself and others, thought and prayer; I relish comment, challenge, correction and dialogue with what is here. The floor is yours.

Next stop on this journey will have to be archidiaconal types reckon - don't you?

* Needs to be said here that this is a not altogether fair assessment of the British High Command and is coloured by many unfair shades of bias and wilful ignorance! The same is often true of those in senior positions I'm sure!

** One of the DDOs with whom I worked would often mutter about how the Oxbridge legacy was one of the greatest ills to undermine the progress of the Church. She would explain how we took effective people and turned them into establishment figures instead and made them fit for little other than a pointy hat, a gentleman's club and a trip to the Lords. (Not sure she'd be any happier to see girls joining in that or not!)


No comments:

Post a Comment